Tuesday 7 May 2019

That's Better!

 This latest eco dyeing of paper is a lot more interesting than the previous attempt. This time I left out the rusty screws etc, although I did continue to use the pieces of rusty aviary wire at either end of the paper and vegetation sandwich. I wondered if there was sufficient tannin in acorns to give some colour to the dye. Since it's autumn here in the southern hemisphere, there are plenty of acorns around from the oaks that have been planted as street trees, and yes they do give some colour.
 Although called a Silky Oak, these leaves are not from an oak at all, but from a type of native Grevillea. In the flowering season it has bunches of spiky bright yellow flowers.
 Here are some broad leaved eucalyptus leaves, with some finer ones from another species showing through from the other side of the paper.
                      More broad leaved and narrow leaved eucalyptus on the same side of the paper.
    In this one I used a couple of petals from a bright yellow hibiscus with some small oak leaves.
                                                                A piece of bracken fern.

1 comment:

Mags said...

I love your echo dyeing Sue.some of the images on my new SerenTex Facebook page use that method. I must try it!