Friday 3 May 2019

More Carving.

 I recently discovered printmaker Anne Moore online and immediately bought her book Art Under Pressure. I wasn't disappointed in the book when it arrived, it's full of very interesting pictures of her prints and also quite a detailed section of The Process with pictures of Anne at work. One thing immediately jumped out at me, one that I just had to try, although I chose to use my soft rubber rather than lino, was the pseudo script. Above is my take on the idea, but I must confess that I have copied some of Anne's interesting symbols, others are my own
Here I've just started to carve out the symbols. I have chosen to have them print black (or any other colour) rather than white, which means I need to carve the background away, not carve the symbols themselves out. A bit of a challenge I think, but it should be easier with the rubber than with the lino that Anne used.

1 comment:

Mary said...

This is an interesting idea. Does it mean that you can just make up the text and not have to worry about doing it all in reverse? Or have you actually been rather particular and done it in reverse because you know what you want it to look like?

It reminds me a bit of teaching Prep and the children just making up letters, mixing upper and lower case and also including numerals. They just knew that the page is often covered in symbols, before they can interpret the symbols. I used to find it very amusing.