Wednesday 6 July 2022

Challenge

It's been quite a long while since I constructed a collagraph plate, so it was interesting to get back into it recently in response to a challenge put out by the tutor of an online class that I did some time ago. The challenge was to use packaging materials to make a plate and to print it.  I used some expanding brown packing paper, the bottom of a take away container and some very small 'useless' cake papers to construct my plate.


I don't have a proper printing press, so I used my cold press laminator. However I soon found that I didn't have enough contrast between the textures, so I either got a very dense or very light print. The one below is of course the light one.
          I rather liked the look of the plate after the printing as it retained some of the black ink. (below)

After a bit of thought I decided not to try for a better print but to enhance the light one with water-colours, and I'm happy that I did as I rather like the result.



2 comments:

Digitalgran said...

i love it sue. i went to a collagraph class once and loved it. but as i don't have press used a spoon when I came home but not really pleased with the result. I have a Big Shot which I need to try. I read somewhere it could work. It would have to be very small.

mycamerandme365 said...

Lovely to see your comment Mags!!
I used my XCutXPress (similar to the Big Shot) for small collagraph prints and although it's narrow, it can be used for any length with extension beds.
I used a large bread board cut in half lengthwise!
I used it for quite a while and it was very successful with plates made of pressed vegetation.
Of course I eventually wanted to go bigger, and although I can use the big presses as the print studio that I belong too, I would rather work from home.
I bought a Cold Press Laminator (much cheaper than a proper press) and used that for printing.
I haven't worked out the best height for the roller yes, which is why the vase & flowers print is so pale.