Thursday 7 October 2021

Playing Around with Prints

I have always thought that adding to prints with a pen or extra paint was not for me, as I thought that the print should be in its final state when hot off the press or gelatin plate. However I have made so many uninspiring gelatin prints lately that were just border line to be in the bin or not, that I broke with my tradition and went back into the prints with pens and paint.

These moths were printed with my hand carved stamps and acrylic paint, but the paint was just too thick and none of the markings showed up. I'm still not convinced by this as a whole, but parts might be O.K for use on cards. The one below is now much more interesting with the addition of bronze and copper embellishments.

The last one was made with pressed flower tassels from a Garyia eleptica plant, or Silk Tassel Bush. The tassels are rather brittle  when pressed dry, but lasted long enough for me to make several different prints. Here I went back into the print and coloured parts of the moth wings and the flowers with  a soft metallic mauve paint. The gold markings on the moths don't show up in this photo very well, but the overall effect is quite nice I think.



No comments: