Sunday 20 May 2018

New Drypoint Etching.

 The flower that was chosen by a member of my art group this month was the native plant, the Hakea.
There are many different varieties, but by far the most spectacular is this Pincushion Hakea.
I etched  the image into a piece of acetate and took a 3 prints, but a bit like Goldilocks, one was too dark, one was too light and I think that one is about right.
 This is the one that was too dark, especially the scribbled 'foliage' around the leaves, flower and stems.
 This  one is too light in parts, although the middle of the flower is about right. The leaves etc were all hand scribed, but I used an electric engraving tool for the flower and the marks are much deeper and therefore retain more ink.
This one will do, as I want to colour it with watercolours, so that the flower is the original bright pink against the green foliage. The photo of the actual plant that I used above is a not quite the right colour as it is too scarlet, but it does show the unique structure of the flower.

No comments: