With the good winter and spring rains we seem to have had a bumper crop of cicadas this season.
The singing is ear-splitting and really gives you a headache after a while. Even the dog puts herself into bed inside to escape the noise! Here is a single larval shell from which the cicada has emerged.
There are so many of them all emerging at once and all trying to get to a tall spot to crack open the shell and emerge that there are multiple shells on every vantage spot. Here are 3 all one broken branch end.
Here is the adult insect and what a transformation! There are 3 or 4 different species all with different calls.
O.K. here is a second attempt. Shellac waterproofing and no overlaps. Stems are made of yarn and not badly cut cardboard.
The rubbing is alright, but the design is too symmetrical at the bottom and the stem of the top leaf meets the leaf at an odd angle. As I want to play around with the design in Photoshop this may in fact be useable. I want to try gelatine prints for a start.
Unfortunately this collograph was a bit of a disaster, not only were the overlaps a mistake, but everything else was a mess too. The so called water proof coating turned out not to be waterproof and in fact nothing worked well at all. Back to the drawing board!
This was just a crayon rubbing to test out the plate.
Having bought a pasta cutting machine for use with polymer clay, and not actually using it for that purpose, I thought I might try to use it for it's real purpose, making pasta.
Here is the dough that I made from imported Italian pasta flour, eggs and water.
I found that it was very difficult to feed the pasta into the machine at the same time as catching it as it emerged the other side, especially when cutting the fettuccini ribbons.
Here is the finished product, not bad for a first go I reckon!
The hanging rod is fittingly propped up on 2 cookery books.
This is the first print from my carved stamp using markers to colour the stamp. It didn't turn out all that well, as the markers, water based ones, still dried a bit too quickly. I must try with acrylic paints or stamp pads designed for fabric, they are very soft and the ink takes ages to dry.