Sunday 12 August 2018

Watercolour Tranfer Printing


 Having had moderate success with printing the cherry blossoms from an acrylic plate to paper last month, I thought that I would try the next flower that was chosen by the group by the same method.
The jonquil, or more correctly known as the narcissus, was lot more tricky to get a reasonable image.

On the left is the transfer from the watercolour, painted onto acrylic, and pressed onto damp mixed media paper. The flowers are more or less O.K., but the leaves are very messy.

On the right is the image that was made the same way, except that I coated the acrylic sheet with undiluted wash-up detergent first to try and stop the beading up of the watercolour paint. It certainly addressed that problem, and made a big difference.  I also used the paint from tubes much more thickly, rather than more dilute from pan paints.

  
Here on the left I went over the image with a slightly wet brush, no paint, just water. It certainly improved the leaves, but I'm not sure that I like the 'bleeding' of the colour where the paper was obviously not blotted off enough before transfer. This will do for the monthly flower image, but I need to experiment with the technique further I think.

No comments: