Saturday 21 July 2018

New Printing Technique.

 I have been so busy with other things recently that I haven't had a moment to print this month's chosen flower, or anything else for that matter. The flower chosen was Cherry Blossom, a reflection of a visit to Japan that the person doing the choosing had made just recently. I've wanted to try watercolour monoprinting for a while, and this is my first attempt. I've masked off the edges of an acrylic plate and adhered underneath a picture that I Photoshopped from the background of an old calendar.
 I wanted to try out the transferring of a watercolour painting on plastic to paper, so here I've painted the background a light green. I really liked the way that the paint beaded up to give some texture.
 Next I mixed up an assortment of pink paint, from very dark to quite light and also some brown for the branches. I painted over each of the flowers, leaving some white of the paper to show through in the middle of each one, and a fairly loose coverage of brown on the branches. I also added a touch of yellow in the centre of each blossom.
The resulting print is very pale and delicate, with a sort of crackling effect on the solid patches of colour. It's quite suitable for the delicate cherry blossom, but next time I will brush the paint on a bit more heavily and see what effect that achieves. At least I have now printed the flower/s for July.

No comments: