Wednesday 20 June 2018

Reverse Applique.

 I was given a few pieces of highly patterned stretch velvet, although I had no idea of what to use them for. With an exhibition looming that has Art Deco in the title I thought that I might work on a design from that era. At my first attempt, the velvet and the layer underneath, also stretch velvet, just moved and stretched all over the place. Eventually I stabilised each layer and working from the back I narrow satin stitched my design.
 On the front I cut out the elements of the design, revealing the variegated layer underneath. Here I'm part way through cutting out the design, very carefully so as not to cut through all the layers.
All done, or at least the first part of the piece, although I'm not quite sure where I'm going with it next!

2 comments:

Digitalgran said...

I don't think it matters where you're going with it Sue, you are obviously having a lot of pleasure doing it. The plain design on all that busy fabric is lovely and must have taken a lot of careful cutting. I look forward to seeing where you 'go' with it.

mycamerandme365 said...

Thanks Mags!