Sunday 13 July 2014

Digital Cyanotypes.

 Today has been a very cold Sunday, so I have spent virtually the whole day fiddling around in Photoshop trying to make digital cyanotypes. (I did go for a walk first thing this morning and I also made a trip to Bunnings for some garden bits and pieces.)
 I have quite an extensive collection of mounted butterflies, collected many, many years ago, so they provided the raw material for the experiments.
Some turned out better than others, but  it was quite an effort with many different individual steps to get them to the stage that you see above.

2 comments:

Mary said...

It is all looking good. I was at the embroiderers guild rooms last weekend and there was an exhibition up, titled Blue (or something similar). There were lovely works there but the one that interested me the most was of fabric that had been sun (solar?) printed in blue, using old photo negatives. The maker was present, so I asked her about it. She made it in the 70s or 80s, before digital cameras, and couldn't quite remember the whole process. It was great to see the combination of a photo negative and some leaf impressions. Your work reminds me of that. Maybe you will have to give some workshops on how to produce this effect.

mycamerandme365 said...

There are a couple of products on the market that will give a similar effect. Jacquard Solar Fast and Lumi Inkodye. However I did mine totally on the computer with Photoshop. I'd be happy to give you a tutorial, but you would need to be familiar with the program.